017 How Skinny Dips, Mentorships, and Partnerships Help Entrepreneurs Drive Business Forward with Hatch Chairman and Co-Founder George Glackin
George joins me today to share how founders and new business startups can gain help and experience through the programs run by Hatch such as their Skinny Dips, Deep Dives, and Demo Days events. He explains how pitch events and workshops help move business ideas forward and highlights the talent pool of mentors who work with the Hatch team. I also spoke with Ailis to learn more about her entrepreneurial journey and how the Hatch pitch events and community of mentors have helped her startup move forward.
There is no reason not to use the best talent available. Hatch provides that magic, that incubator, and that safe space to be brilliant.George Glackin
This week on the Supportedly Podcast:
- How George became one of the founders of Hatch AVL Foundation and how they help entrepreneurs get the job done without going it alone.
- How Hatch’s incubator helps founders use the three P’s: Place, Partnerships, and Programming.
- How Hatch brings a talent pool of founders, mentors, service providers, and investors together.
- Who can present a pitch at Hatch This, the audience vote, and how nine companies are selected to workshop with people in the audience and talented mentors?
- The seed funding offered to the best founding idea at the end of a Hatch This weekend.
- How to join a Pitch Party and present a one-minute pitch.
- What the Skinny Dips programs are and how they help entrepreneurs identify and address fundamental areas in their business model they may have overlooked.
- How the 90-day Deep Dives programs help business owners strategically plan for success.
- How the Demo Day program allows early-stage businesses to present to Hatch mentors and have a chance to win seed funding.
- What the talent pool of Hatch mentors looks like and the fields in which they specialize.
- Ailis’s idea for a map service with category filtering for food, drink, entertainment, and specials.
- Her journey towards creating Burban.
- How Ailis found her way to Hatch and a marketing internship.
- How Ailis helped organize a Demo Day as part of her internship and entrepreneurial development.
- What it feels like to be a Demo Day pitch participant and workshop your business for a day.
- The advice that Ailis would give to a new entrepreneur.
It’s an incredible opportunity to come in, make connections, and dive into the Hatch community of mentors.Ailis Grosh
The low and no-cost founder support programs offered by Hatch:
Connect with George Glackin:
Connect with Ailis Grosh:
Share this Podcast!
I utilize my background and expertise in project leadership to find creative operational solutions every day. I’m passionate about great ideas and inspired by the entrepreneurs who bring them to life (ever seen someone cry happy tears over your prototype?). I'm fortunate to work with people who share my passions and inspire me every day. Together, we're working non-stop to create cool things that empower entrepreneurs and business owners, like Supportedly.com, the place to find entrepreneurial support programs, events, and actionable content like The Supportedly Podcast. To all the providers and entrepreneurs they support, thanks for letting me tell your stories, and if you’re reading this, I hope we’ve helped make your entrepreneurial journey just a little be easier and maybe even more exciting!
George is an experienced innovation and new business creation leader. Over a 35 year career at Procter & Gamble, George led teams in all phases of the innovation process from current business operations, upgrade initiatives, front end product and technology development, and creation of disruptive new businesses. He led innovation efforts in all P&G sectors, and on major brands such as Pampers, Tide and Pantene.
George now invests and advises with the entrepreneur community in Asheville, NC, addressing the ideation, experimentation and scale-up phases of new business creation. George is a Founder and Chair of the Board of Hatch AVL, an Asheville-based startup incubator.
Ailis Grosh is a young entrepreneur and the founder of Burban, a resource for finding food, drink, and more specials in your area. Since launching Burban, Ailis has become increasingly involved in the Asheville Entrepreneurship community, helping to organize Demo Day and Hatch This for the Hatch AVL foundation, and as an organizer for the 1 Million Cups Asheville chapter.